Thursday, October 28, 2010

Eyelid Primer Swatches

Hello everyone!
Today, I've swatched a few different eyeshadow bases, including two of the NYX ones (in skin tone and white).
Natural light, no flash
Flash
Left to right (or top to bottom): Almay Bright Eyes Eye Base/Concealer; MAC Shadestick in Beige-ing; NYX Jumbo Pencils in Pots and Pans,Cottage Cheese and Black Bean; Art Deco Eyeshadow Base; NYX Eyeshadow Bases in Skin Tone and  White.

The Almay one is alright as a concealer but I don't really use it as a lid primer.  I'm also not a fan of the applicator (one of those squeezy brush type arrangements), I just find it to be really messy and I always squeeze really hard because nothing's coming out and then you end up squeezing half the tube out at once.  Wouldn't really recommend.

I use the MAC Shadestick a lot, however it does have shimmer so if you are going for a matte look, I wouldn't recommend this one.  I do find this does crease a little as well, towards the end of the day.  I only use this as a base (i.e. set with a powder shadow), not on it's own as on it's own it creases like crazy!

NYX Jumbo pencils - similar to the MAC Shadestick, but a creamier consistency.  These come in a lot of different colours too and are great for putting under coloured shadows if ou want a really intense colour.

I use the Art Deco base a lot as well, however it does have a slight shimmer, as you can see in the photos.  My main criticism of this one is the smell - it's smells like men's perfume (weird!!) but the smell does wear off once you blend it out (i.e. you won't smell like a man all day).  I think it's mainly if you smell it in the little pot.

NYX bases - the skin tone base is VERY dark as you can see, compared to my pale skin, but I think it blends out well and once I put a shadow over the top it doesn't really bother me.  These have a similar consistency to a cream concealer type product.  I find they wear very well and (apart from the Jumbo pencils) are probably the most affordable option.

I purchased all of my NYX things on eBay.  Art Deco is available from some pharmacies and hair/beauty salons in Australia, here is the link to their Australian website: Art Deco Stockists in Australia

Hope this is helpful to some people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment.